One of the problems I ran into was not getting there with enough time to work on this painting. I had less than an hour to really do anything before it got too dark.
Also, I took some W&N water soluble paints, something I’ve never used before and to tell the truth, I didn’t really care for them. They didn’t cover like I thought they would, but this may also be due to the brushes and the support.
I tried to do this painting on a gessoed art panel and the brushes were some brand new synthetics. The peint just didn’t go on like I wanted it to. I did use some W&N water miscible medium to try to get the paint to flow, but it just wouldn’t do what I wanted.
So, I am going back out tomorrow, this time I will get there a couple of hours earlier. I will use regular oils and I am going to use some Centurion linen panels. I will stop by Dick Blick during the day to see what I can spend my money on in terms of brushes.
Obviously, this being my first plein air painting I wasn’t expecting to set the world on fire. And I think I learned more today about painting that I have in the last year, mostly things that need to change to work out better.